"Z" Tools

Working on Z scale:

This stuff is small. There's special considerations when dealing with Z like things that go "sproing" and cannot be found because of their size.

This page is like the "add on" for the Large Scale tools page I have.


General stuff:

Work in a shallow pan, like a small cookie sheet. A buddy of mine uses a thin high contrast sheet of closed cell foam.

Get several pairs of nice, pointy, stainless steel tweezers.

Put parts in small containers, like old perscription bottles, or in a muffin pan.



Simply indespensible. I use the 7x ones, gives me a focal distance of about 4.5". Do not buy the cheap imitations with plastic lenses, get the name brand Optivisor with the glass lenses. The plastic copies are not nearly as clear and the lenses scratch.




Rodney's Railroad Tools

Great stuff, takes a while to get after ordering, but worth it. Site is at: http://rodneysrailroadtools.x10.mx Rodney is a great guy too.

I recommend the 3-n-1 Tool:

10665738 846256368718106 8280225360761042710 n


Does 1" dual track spacing, can be used for holding alignment while soldering joiners.

 I also recommend the curved/straight track parallel tool, very useful for making parallel curves:

10678776 846256735384736 9170211377450164193 n



I also highly recommend the 12" flex track staight alignment gauge. Your track will be arrow straight after using. It's also very helpful holding the ends of track straight when laying curves, like on an end module.







I also have ordered the wheel standards gauge, always a good idea.






I have not used his other tools, but everything I have seen so far is if he has a tool you could use, it's worth getting.


Scale Rules from Fassett Studios:

They are CNC machined from clear acrylic. Unfortunately Tom Fassett passed away in May 2013. The plastic is thick enough to not bend when used for a straight edge, and the graduations are clear. Some people have commented that they would like to put black ink in the etching. I'd like to see this before I try it.Good prices and nice quality.


Marklin "rolling road"

I bought the 89932 rolling road (what it is called in europe), it's a set of rollers on a base. The roller sets "adjust" to fit the wheelbase of a loco.

(unfortunately this model is no longer made, you can get the 89931 which only has sets, not the 8 shown and is shorter.




But you can buy the individual rollers sets and add them on (89933):



I'm in the process of modifying these, because when the loco sits on the rollers, the wheel sits between the 2 rollers, thus the wheel tread is lower than the surrounding frame.

For large diameter steam loco wheels, this is fine, but for diesels, the sideframes hit the metal top, and do not let the wheels sit in the "valley" between the 2 rollers.



List of tools to bring to a "Z" construction party or a show:

Look at the module section on tools to bring to a show or party.

Weather Underground PWS KCACARLS78